Sunday, April 22, 2012

Oh, For a Break in a Forest Glen

With all that's been going on in my personal life of late, I haven't had much time for reflection or posting. But after watching the talking head programs over the weekend and their prognostications about this election season, I have been wishing for a quiet break in the woods, like the shot of me on an Ozark Mountain trail some years back. But that's not to be, and I have to deal with what lies ahead. So I forced myself to put my political hat on and begin pondering.

My reverie began after hearing something that was said on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace. The statement was made by both Juan Williams (liberal) and Karl Rove (conservative) that Republicans have to be careful in how they characterize Barack Obama in the upcoming campaign. They cite polls that suggest swing voters are unhappy with the way Obama is doing his job, but they like him personally and don't hold him responsible for some of the negativity out there. And if that's the case, I would say quite a few Americans have their heads in the sand and are beyond ignorant. 

We could, I suppose, blame the mainstream media for this because they tend to protect the president with air bags and bubble wrap against most negative reports. But it goes beyond just the media. It amazes me that such a large number of people are that clueless about Alinskyite, leftist tactics to gin up unrest, divide people against one another, fire off ugly, personal criticism and ridicule against their opponents, etc. If you don't believe me, read "Rules for Radicals," which is the handbook for Saul Alinsky disciples (and yes, that includes Barack Obama). This stuff isn't hard to find. 

Mr. O is not some innocent bystander pleading and calling for civility while his underlings and acolytes are out there ginning up all the trouble. He knows perfectly well what's going on and is quite happy to have it going on. 

My suggestion is simply this—Republicans should tell the truth, call a duck a duck, and let the chips fall where they may. Scripture has a rhetorical question in in: "Have I become your enemy for telling the truth?" 

I am not suggesting Romney should get out there and participate in gutter politics or purposefully be ugly. I am suggesting that the truth is damaging enough in and of itself. He just has to be willing to tell the truth baldly, and not put a happy face on it. Republicans always seem to want to pull their punches, thinking a real political fisticuffs is somehow unseemly for members of the country club. That's one reason why we keep getting candidates like Bob Dole, John McCain, and now Romney. Ronald Reagan was one of a kind, the happy warrior who had the gift of being cheerful while inserting the stiletto. His communication skills were tremendous, but he also wasn't afraid of a fight. 

The GOP better get ready, and quickly. Or we'll have four more years of this, and there goes the country. 

1 comment:

lee n. field said...

They cite polls that suggest swing voters are unhappy with the way Obama is doing his job, but they like him personally and don't hold him responsible for some of the negativity out there.

Really? < shakes head in unbelief>

I don't see him personally as being much more than a smiling face, fronting for a network of old lefties and more sinister powers behind the throne.

Scripture has a rhetorical question in in: "Have I become your enemy for telling the truth?"

Amos 5 has an apropos bit too: "Therefore he who is prudent will keep silent in such a time, for it is an evil time."

My suggestion is simply this—Republicans should tell the truth, call a duck a duck, and let the chips fall where they may.

I voted for Dr. Paul, for all the good that will do.

If Mr. Goodhair wins in the fall, I expect the R.s to continue their usual behavior -- a random stagger towards the precipice.