Thursday, April 19, 2012

What Would Atticus Do?

Once again, I find myself needing to apologize for another dearth of posts to The Seventh Sola. Probably one reason why this blog will never draw in huge numbers of readers like other blogs can boast. My schedule has truly been nuts of late.

So having gotten that obligatory item out of the way, I want to share this recent William McGurn column from the Wall Street Journal. I found it very thought provoking, as I do many columns in the WSJ.

I've always liked "To Kill a Mockingbird," both the book and the film. I don't think anyone could have personified the portrayal of Atticus Finch any better than the late Gregory Peck. Mr. Peck also considered it the defining role of his career. While I didn't (and still don't) share Mr. Peck's political liberalism, he was truly a fine actor. And Harper Lee's novel does rightly force people to think about true racial injustice and the inherent evil of racist attitudes.

Fast forward to the Treyvon Martin shooting, which has dominated the news in recent weeks. Mr. McGurn asks some very important questions worth pondering regarding rushes to judgment, and whether the film really parallels with the Treyvon tragedy. One often wonders what would have happened if there had been a Rev. Jesse Jackson or a Rev. Al Sharpton in the story. And the reason is that these two individuals seem more interested in stirring up fires than they are in bringing healing and reconciliation.

No comments: