Monday, July 02, 2012

Lowbrow Vulgarity From Tinseltown

I've pretty much given up on the idea of Hollywood turning out anything resembling decent, wholesome entertainment. This is despite several studies showing that cleaner fare has tended to make more money at the box office. Maybe that's changing, but who knows. I haven't looked it up in a while.

Today, the BBC had this little piece on a new movie called "Ted." I guess the selling point is how this teddy bear has a really bad potty mouth. Wonder how many parents will take their kids to see the cussing teddy bear?

I suppose I could see this kind of flick appealing to Beavis and Butthead types, or the typical unregenerate junior high mindset that thinks flatulence and/or scatological jokes are funny. What is really sad to me is that such a mindset seems to be on the rise in our culture. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some who identify themselves as Christian going to see it and giving the movie a five-star review. If some pastors can cuss from the pulpit and call it trendy and relevant, why not?

I guess you can tell my sarcasm meter is set on high today. Sorry. I'll shut up and go to bed now.

No comments: