Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Stealing a Moment from Mr. Time

Always liked "Mr. Time" by Alan Parsons. It's off of his 1990s-era release called "Try Anything Once." But that's not actually the subject of this brief post—the second one today, which is unusual for me.

I've been doing this blog now for several years. Early on, I was quite prolific. But as time went on and personal family/job responsibilities increased, my blogging has proceeded in fits and starts. Sometimes I've been tempted to just chuck it and hang it up, but I really don't want to do that. Sometimes I just have to have a rant. ;)

Seriously, I was reading once that many writers (and yes, that includes Christian writers, pastors and teachers) often read things they wrote years ago and wince, wishing sometimes they hadn't written them. Some have even wanted to yank old books off the market because they no longer agreed with what they had written earlier. Or, even if they remained foundationally the same in philosophy, they might have expressed themselves in a more polished or careful fashion in an effort to be heard and understood by a broader audience. In other words, some might knee-jerk and reject what they had to say because they said it too baldly or bluntly. They should have softened it with velvet instead of trying to take off a layer of hide.

For myself, I can say that I'm pretty much the same person I've always been, but hopefully with age and time, more close to the Lord in my words and actions, as least as much as that is possible while living in a fallen world and clothed "in flesh." I have a lot of growing and learning yet to do.

I imagine the time will come when I will look at old posts on this blog and wish I hadn't made some of them, or perhaps had worded them differently to more carefully express the heart of the matter as I intended. But I don't believe in the Orwellian "memory hole," i.e. trying to erase all evidence of past thoughts and writings etc. I think that is cowardice.

To me, if anything, leaving this blog up will provide a small trail of history—the history of how one little man in a certain place and at a certain time thinks, looks, changes, mulls, considers, judges, reacts etc. over a lifetime. I began this blog when I was well past youth and into middle age. Today, at nearly 52, I'm not quite ancient but I'm not able to go out and run a triathlon either. A gentle trundle or occasional fast trot is about as good as it gets.

Things may look a bit different at the end of my journey than they do now. No doubt the world will have changed even if I have largely not. At the end, I trust I will keep the faith, keep the wry, dry sense of humor, keep the pointed, direct manner of communication, and hopefully - keep my wits. And that's no credit to me. All the credit, glory and honor go to Another. The One Who keeps me and has promised to complete the work He began in me so long ago.

And hopefully without having to do too much of what politicians do when they get caught up in an error or gaffe . . . having to "revise and extend my remarks."

1 comment:

lee n. field said...

"Some have even wanted to yank old books off the market because they no longer agreed with what they had written earlier."

Augustine himself wrote a volume of Retractions late in life.

"Today, at nearly 52, I'm not quite ancient but I'm not able to go out and run a triathlon either. A gentle trundle or occasional fast trot is about as good as it gets."

Built for comfort, not for speed