Sunday, August 12, 2012

God is Good and the Garden is Proof


Take a look at the above plants. It's no secret that Illinois and much of the Midwest is in severe to extreme drought. But the cabbage above is 10 lbs. With minimal watering. And the plant above it - funny story. We had intended to buy cabbages, and we did. These plants looked just like seedling cabbages when we pulled them out of the "cabbage" box in the greenhouse. Well, we planted them and they grew, and grew, and grew. We had no idea what they were. Until one day, we saw broccoli heads at the top. Then we knew. 

I had to look broccoli up then, and discovered that it is in the cabbage family. I didn't know that—embarrassing for someone whose family has an agricultural background. Oh, well. Live and learn. But the main thing is that things have been so dry, and as I have a well, I was concerned about running dry so I couldn't water much. But we still had produce - potatoes, cabbage, green beans, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, lettuce and onions. Even asparagus. We are harvesting much more than I thought we would. And we are grateful to God. 

1 comment:

Shelly's Garden said...

I grew cabbage as well this year, intentionally though...LOL! Wish I had planted more. I didn't even find any worms either! Thank Goodness, I would not have been able to eat it!

We just put in a well this year, just started using it a few weeks ago. How do you tell if a well might be in danger of going dry? We have been fortunate enough here to have good rain at the beginning of the season, a little dry now though.

That cabbage and the broccoli looks fabulous! Yuuuumy!!