Monday, October 01, 2012

Christian Conservatives Vs. Libertarians

When it comes to political arguments, one that I have done my best to stay out of (as much as possible) is the "conservative vs. libertarian" argument in the Republican Party.

Of course, there is a "Libertarian Party" proper, but the GOP has a significant libertarian wing in it, represented most notably by Congressman Ron Paul of Texas. The two sides can get quite contentious with each other.

The other day, I came across what I thought was a very thoughtful article in The American Thinker. Written by Jeremy Egerer, it basically discusses why the author chooses to identify with conservatism rather than libertarianism as a political philosophy. You'll notice that I didn't put the word "Christian" in this paragraph although the author did include that in his title (However, I did put it in the blog post title above). The reason I didn't is that there are genuine Christians in both camps. This is an effort made by one side of this argument to declare his heart on the matter. Worth reading and pondering.

No comments: