Wednesday, January 30, 2013

More on the Boy Scouts and the "H" Word


I said I would have more to say today about the issue of homosexuality and the National Boy Scouts of America, so here it is. What prompts this is the growing bullying I see in the media and in the culture aimed at Christians and anyone else who holds to a traditional worldview. The Scouts have been under steady onslaught for some time, and I for one have had enough of it.

I was a proud Webelo in my childhood. As a former Scout, and as a Christian who takes the "Scout Oath" seriously, I felt that I had to register my firm opposition to any change whatsoever in the organizations' historic stance on the issue of allowing homosexuals to serve as Scout leaders.

The Boy Scout oath I took as a Webelo referenced "doing my duty to God" and being "morally straight." Homosexuality is not "morally straight." Far from it. A behavior is not and should not be in the same league as an ethnic minority. Many black pastors and civil rights leaders are aghast at how the homosexual lobby has latched on to this notion to push their agenda.

After winning so many victories at the court level in litigation, how Scouting could cave in now is beyond me, and very disappointing. Homosexuals are a small minority of the population, although they yell louder than anyone else and get an inordinate amount of attention. A sympathetic media and entertainment establishment helps them, and the left has been firmly in charge of the educational establishment for years. So you can see there has been a steady drip, drip, drip of indoctrination. But the Scouts won freedom of association in court. And after fighting—and winning—such a hard-fought battle, why throw in the towel now?

If Scouting nationally or locally caves in and drops this prohibition, they will do themselves far more harm than good in the long run. The organization, not to mention the children, will be seriously damaged. They will no doubt lose a significant amount of support from traditional-minded parents (not to mention Christian parents) who are concerned about the moral values being presented to their children.

I realize there is a values juggernaut going on in the culture. But it must be realized that this is driven by the media, as well as by the liberal educational establishment. There is a leftist administration in power at the moment, and no doubt the far left feels this is their time to strike. I think it's accurate to say that attitudes toward homosexual behavior have been changing, but that is not irreversible. Remember how and WHY attitudes have been changing. Traditional conservatives seem to have lost the art of communication, and typically, the worst possible spokespeople make it on the media to deliver what we think and why. Maybe that's by design, but it's sad. We'd better start getting smarter. 

I am a former career broadcaster, news director, and talk show host, so I know how the game works. I urge the Scouts, DO NOT give in to this. Stand firm. You have already won in the courts, and will continue to win in the courts unless there is a sea change at the Supreme Court. The precedent has been set, and courts in general go by the doctrine of "stare decisis." (The decision stands).

Even if, God forbid, general public opinion begins to turn against you, sometimes you have to stand for what is right—no matter what the cost. The traditional, Judeo-Christian point of view is under assault, which is predictable—Jesus Himself warned us that it would happen. But when you are under assault, you draw your sword and shield, and stand. You may be the last one standing, but stand. You will be vindicated in the end.

Two last things: The comments are closed on this post. I am not in the mood to bandy tiresome, invective-filled arguments from trolls and others, and my position on this subject is immutable. It is my blog, after all, and I am exercising my benevolent, dictatorial control of what gets posted here. I think this is only the second time I have ever closed comments on a post. However, given the profanity, obscenities, name calling, threats and other abusive nonsense I see elsewhere when this particular issue is discussed, there is no way in Hades I am going to allow that kind of garbage on The Seventh Sola. I delete and ban rarely, but I won't hesitate to do so if I must pull that trigger.

Finally, I am getting very, VERY tired of hearing the "bigot" word hurled at anyone who opposes homosexual behavior. It's a false charge that is way too easily thrown at people, and it angers me that those who throw the word are allowed to get away with it. The term "bigotry" is applicable if we are discussing ethnic/racial hatred. The term is NOT applicable to moral objections to a behavior, all the more when people are being obedient to their God and the tenets of their faith in determining their position on moral questions. So don't even go there.

We hear much these days on "tolerance." Tolerance is a two-way street. If homosexual activists were merely looking for tolerance, I suspect they wouldn't have much trouble. But they are not content with tolerance. They demand acceptance and approval. They want everyone to say that their beliefs and lifestyle are okay, and they want to stamp out anyone who refuses to go that far. To them, disapproval of any kind is a mortal threat, so it must be silenced by any means necessary.

If they think my direct words and thoughts are offensive and intolerable, wait until they hear what God has to say about it. He's already made His mind clear on the subject, but they're not listening and they don't care. Eventually, they won't have a choice and it will be too late to repent. 

No comments: