Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Crater of Diamonds Yields Another Big Rock!

By now, most of my readers here know I like to give Arkansas a plug when I can. Today I have another opportunity to do just that.

Looks like a Kentucky man found a pretty big diamond at the Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, AR, on the southwest side of the state near the ARK-LA-TEX region. Nearly 3 carats!

I've been to this park a couple of times, but didn't find any diamonds. I didn't stay long enough, as usually they find two a day, on average. It's a unique place. The only functioning diamond mine in North America, but it's not open commercially. It really is a state park, and visitors are allowed to come in and dig for diamonds. And yes, you get to keep what you find. Some pretty big honkin' diamonds have been found there through the years.

So, if you're ever in that neck of the woods, check it out. Although be careful in summer. That field gets pretty, pretty hot in the Southern sun!

No comments: