I stand firmly with the historic stance of the church on marriage, divorce, and the sin of sexual immorality, including defining homosexuality as sin.
My reluctance, I suppose, comes from the sinking feeling that I'm basically talking into a banshee wind. Others in recent days have made the point I'm about to make, and I feel the need to chime in and make it here. My hope—as much as I have—is that people will get past the politics and see the perspective that I and others have on our current media and political juggernaut. Our propaganda machine on full roar to push and repeat one idea until everyone mind-numbingly accepts it as a given and truth, and something to be celebrated, which it isn't. What am I talking about? Let me take you there in stages, and then maybe you'll get my point.
There is so much going on in the world today of great import. Global import. Matters of life and death.
1. We just went through a horrific terrorist bombing in Boston, with the reality that more of these bombings will happen in the future as Islamic terror sleeper cells become active.
2. We have a young Christian pastor in Iran in prison and threatened with execution merely because he chose to follow the Lord Jesus Christ as his Savior.
3. We had an enormous blast in West, Texas, that leveled a town and killed/injured a number of people.
4. We have Iran getting ever closer to a nuclear weapon.
5. We have North Korea threatening war and usage of nuclear weapons.
6. We have a severe drought that is still in place across much of the American Great Plains that will have an enormous impact on food prices, and possibly even food supply.
7. We have a debacle of a health care law that will plunge the country into even deeper debt, and more likely than not ruin the best health care system there is (although some reform is needed).
8. We have a gargantuan debt crisis that threatens the economic health of the country, and if the bubble finally explodes, it will make the Great Depression look like Boomtown.
9. We have an educational system in disaster, a spiritual crisis in the land, more broken families, more and more kids on prescription behavioral drugs, suicides at younger and younger ages, and a host of other concerns.
10. We have states in bankruptcy and people already maxed out in what they can afford to pay in taxes.
11. And among the worst of all, we have an abortionist doctor on trial in Pennsylvania for infanticide and murder, with the blood of who knows how many babies on his hands. And outside of Fox News and a few other outlets, the mainstream media largely ignores the story because it doesn't fit their tableau.
We have all of this, and much more. But what story leads the news for the past two days? A pro basketball player announces his sexual predilections to the media. We have a new cause celebre. A host of elected officials and executives race to the microphones to praise this athlete, almost putting him on a par with Mother Teresa. Even President Obama personally called the athlete to praise him for his "courage." But our president—who finds reasons to comment on a host of other local and not so local issues—can't be bothered to comment about live babies being butchered in a major city a few hours away from Washington D.C.
And the media won't pay any attention. Instead, they're caught up in their own crusade and blowing the horn as loudly as possible. The world could be running off the cliff like lemmings or possessed swine, and it wouldn't matter a hill of beans. Listen! I even think I hear Cassandra calling!
I knew even before I hit the first letter on the keyboard that this post will probably send a few into paroxysms of rage. Believe it or not, it's not really even so much that the lead story involves homosexuality. It's more sheer wonder at what makes news and what gets celebrated in this day and age. And in the meantime, a lot of people in a lot of places around the world are truly suffering death.
And we're obsessed with a basketball player and his sex life? I think, folks, we are truly in a Romans 1 moment in the United States:
"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them. Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things." (Romans 1:18-2:2)