Thursday, February 20, 2014

Keep the Feds Out of Newsrooms!

If you read my blog much, you'll know that I believe in a free press. Pretty natural for an ex-radio guy. You'll also know that I get pretty angered by media bias. I was trained "old school," in that you report news objectively, leave your own opinion out of it, and let people make up their own minds.

The exception is the editorial, print or broadcast. If you're doing an editorial, then you may give your own opinion. So-called "advocacy journalism" belongs on the editorial page, not in the news report itself.

All this to say, I am very bothered by this report on the FCC's latest move. And Jay Sekulow's ACLJ isn't the only group bothered by it. FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai wrote a piece in the Wall Street Journal expressing concern about this move by the Obama Administration.

I don't care what side of the political fence you're on. Journalists, news directors, television and radio stations alike should all object loudly to this. The government does have a legitimate interest in the public airwaves to make sure that certain public services are provided by broadcast stations. But they have NO business regulating content of news reports whatsoever. If Uncle Charlie starts this, I'd say toss him out of the station and litigate it later.

No comments: