Monday, July 07, 2014

America: The Film

I was asked about Dinesh D'Sousa's new film "America" at church yesterday, so I guess that means I'd better either see it or read up on it. Here is an article about it in the Christian Post.

I can't get away for much movie watching these days, and I'm pretty known for being a lover of Hollywood's "Golden Age" (1930-1955). America, of course, is a documentary and that puts it in a different class. However, it is being released at movie theaters. I'll probably wait until it's available on DVD.

Needless to say, the film is getting bashed pretty hard by the left, so it must pink them in some sensitive areas. Other reviews (such as the article I linked) say it's actually pretty even-handed, i.e. allowing the left to have their say and then Dinesh rebuts their views.

In one sense, I think it's probably good to have a reminder film like this out. Because I really do think we have a generation on the rise who "knew not Joseph." Is America perfect? Of course not. It's a nation in a fallen world run by fallen men. But given some other locations on the planet and their repressive regimes, I'd still rather be here than anywhere else. But we dare not take our freedom for granted, and it's already under great threat. If this film helps shine the light on that truth, all the better.

No comments: