Thursday, August 21, 2014

Tony Banks on His Classical Music (and Genesis Reunion?)

The "classic five" from left to right: Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett,
Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins, Tony Banks
From dark, sad, and angry news the past couple of days to a lighter, happier moment. I'm always ready to discuss the possibility of a Genesis reunion, no matter how slight the possibility.

As a sign of my hope, I'm reusing a photo released by the band not long ago, but hey, it's a great pix and demonstrates the residual mutual affection among them all even though they're not active, and some aren't "officially" in the band. I've never totally bought that for multiple reasons. Once you're in Genesis, you're in the family. It's like being a sibling.

Anyway, all that buildup to share this little article from Express in the UK interviewing Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks about his latest classical music ventures. Good to see, and you just knew that reunion prospects would come up. Tony pretty much reiterated what we knew. He's up for it. Steve's up for it. Mike's probably a go. The wild cards are Peter and Phil. I hope Phil has recovered his health well enough to do it should it be decided. He injured his neck and back on the 2007 Genesis reunion, and because of numbness and pain in his hands and back, has not been able to play drums or keyboards much. When he did his most recent album, "Going Back," he did manage to play drums but had to tape the sticks to his hands. Genesis' music can be quite complex in the drum department. He could always opt to bring Chester Thompson or Nir Z. along for a tour to supplement, but I suspect the general attitude would be to keep it just the core band itself without tour musicians. Just a guess. But Phil's being physically up to a reunion would be key.

And there's always Peter. Love the guy, but he has always been the most reluctant one to reform even for a one-off tour. Not for any personal animosities, but in his view, it took him years to be recognized as a talent in his own right separate from Genesis, and when you get involved in a Genesis tour, things do tend to metastasis and grow, and can involve quite a large time commitment. Even Phil was concerned about that in 2007, and insisted on holding it to 20 shows in Europe, and 20 shows in the US.

As reluctant Peter has been, I think he still hit the nail on the head in a recent interview. He said (and I'm paraphrasing), "Most bands of our generation have lost a few members. We're lucky we're all still around. So one does have to be mindful of the clock."

So, here's hoping for the best and the reunion goes beyond a simple BBC documentary. But I'd also rather have them alive, whole, healthy, and friends instead of something going wrong on a tour. They've done enough over the past 40 plus years for me to simply say, "Thanks, guys, for decades of great music and lots of fun. God bless."

3 comments:

Jacob Huffman said...

I am always up for a Genesis reunion myself. My Dad and I have been fans of the group for a long time. It's one of the music groups Dad grew up with. So, I just hope and pray that Phil Collins is happy, healthy and whole, and that Peter gains a willing spirit so that they can go back to doing what they do best. Believe me, I know of music groups that are like family, both in the Christian and the secular arena. When some of the musicians from those groups go solo, they are just not the same anymore. Their fans even think so, as they are more willing to buy the group albums than the solo albums. To add insult to injury, the group turned solo musicians don't even feel the peace of mind that they would feel when they perform in the clique. So, I just hope that this family reunites.

Solameanie said...

Agreed. I sometimes wonder if age has something to do with it also. I'm nearing 54, and the thought of a huge tour makes me tired just thinking about it. But a one-off album or five shows in Europe plus 5 shows in the US - that would be doable. Again, assuming all of them are healthy.

Jacob Huffman said...

Yes, it is hard to expect an older person to be so healthy, yet it is possible . . . I've known of teachers who will teach even into their 60's and 70's. If that is possible, then I am sure this group can get back together. They can also do those shows preferably over the summer, you know, when the kids are out of school for the summer, so they won't have to boycott school to be with their family.