Monday, September 29, 2014

Free Network Campaign Ads for Hillary?

Well, lookee here. CBS is going to be airing a new show called "Madam Secretary." It's supposedly inspired by the Benghazi hearings. In pre-publicity releases, it even shows the lead actress getting the "3 AM phone call" that Hillary Clinton brought to the fore in her failed bid against Barack Obama in 2008.

Given the no longer plausibly deniable bias in the media, I think it's plain to see this show for what it really is. A not-so-subtle attempt to help create a sympathetic public for a Hillary presidential campaign. Of course, the manner in which it's done skates under campaign finance and other laws because it's not a direct commercial tied by name. It's art and drama, you see. Snork.

Interesting also, that this comes along with Obama senior adviser Valerie Jarrett's recent appearance on "The Good Wife." Wonder what else we'll see before the presidential campaign season gets off to a hot start?

Lest anyone charge me with conservative bias, let me restate something I've often said and still believe. I have always been uncomfortable with former politicos moving over to news commentary and anchoring. From George Stephanopoulos on the Democratic side to Mike Huckabee on the Republican side, I'm sorry...it just makes me uncomfortable. I guess if said politico openly declares their colors and make clear that their programs are not objective journalism and are instead intended to advocate a point of view, fine. But that line gets increasingly blurred and journalists of the "old school" like me don't like it very much.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as "objective" journalism and people bring their biases to their work. I can say that when I was in secular journalism, I made every effort not to do so, and to report controversial issues objectively. I saved opinions for the editorial commentary. While I'm pretty confident there are still journalists out there who operate that way, it's harder to see these days. We need a "revival" in journalistic objectivity.

No comments: